Some of my favourite verses include:
1. Psalm 139:1 ‘O LORD, you have searched me and you know me. You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar.’
2. Psalm 138:8 ‘It says: The Lord will perfect that which concerns me.’
3. Psalm 16:6 ‘The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance.’
4. Psalm 118:17 ‘I will not die but live, and will proclaim what the LORD has done.’
I could go on and on, I love psalms. Most of the things I want to hear are found there. God’s word is true, and I believe in His plans, I believe in His blessings, In His miracles and wonders. I love hearing that I am loved, that I am covered. God has been so good and gracious to me; I have his promises written all over my house. I love waking up to ‘I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength’ it feels good cooking while staring at ‘God will fight against those who fight against me’. It is a good thing to believe in God’s promises. God desires that we believe in His word.
In the Bible, we also read:
1. Romans 6:23 ‘For the wages of sin is death;…’
2. 1 Peter 1:16 “Be holy, because I am holy.”
3. Ephesians 5:5 For of this you can be sure: No immoral, impure or greedy person–such a person is an idolater–has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.
4. Philippians 2:14 Do all things without murmurings and disputings:
5. Luke 6:35 But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back.
I don’t have the above verses anywhere in my house. Sometimes I read them and cringe because it is hard. Some of the things God expects me to do are difficult. I don’t dwell there so much, especially if there’s something specific God wants me to do, something that will require me to say no to pride, something that will require selflessness. I always want to take more time to believe. I go quite and ask Him to use other avenues to confirm if I should really do that. But this is still God’s word right? And I should believe it just like I believed the first ones I shared.
If God’s word is true; then all of it is true. We should not take only the part we like, but all of it. We should believe all of it, we should study and meditate on all of it. We cannot expect blessings every day yet we ignore God’s requirement for us to be holy. To walk in the light. God gives us instruction through His word, He warns us, He speaks to us: It is important that we value God’s word. This goes out to teachers and preachers alike, we should not preach what people want to hear, but what God wants His people to hear. We cannot tell people that they will be blessed without telling them it comes with obedience to God’s word.
What verse have you been ignoring, yet expecting your favourite part to work? Is that not being hypocritical? It is time to believe all of God’s word. Every verse is true. Every verse is important. 2 Timothy 3:16 ‘All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,’